The Bean

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Oh, hello there!

It has been quite awhile since my last post. I thought once I was a stay-at-home-mom (or SAHM as the cool kids call it, which I am not, so I will never write that again) that I would have all this extra time to blog. One would think that nap time would be a perfect time to blog, but that is when I watch my tv shows. Or, very rarely, clean something. Lately, I've been thinking about how much I enjoy reading my friends' blogs (my favorite because I love her) so I decided to jump back into it.

The Bean will be 11 months next week! I cannot believe how fast this year has gone. She gets stronger and more person-like everyday. Like the other night, I bent over to pick her up and take her to the bath and she crawled away from me with this wry little smile on her face. Or like yesterday when I was sitting at the kitchen table and she was in the living room not 10 feet away from me. I heard what I THOUGHT was the Bean lifting up on the first step of our staircase. When I looked in the living room she was halfway up the staircase! My reaction was stuck somewhere between sheer panic and utter pride for how strong she's become. Previously I had to entice her up the first couple of steps with a toy or something, but yesterday she just decided to go upstairs. It is just crazy to me that she is capable of deciding something and then doing it. See, person-like.

At this point I cannot ever imagine going back to work full-time. I'm sure there will come a time when that happens, but I don't see it happening soon. I dropped by my former place of employment the other day for lunch which turned into an impromptu meeting. I sat there listening to my former colleagues as the Bean jumped on my lap and I thought, "Nope. I'm perfectly happy at home with this little person." Before having a baby I always said with full conviction, "I am a teacher. That is what I was meant to be and I love it. I love my students!" I meant every word of it until I met our little Bean. It turns out I was totally, unequivocally meant to be a mother. I still know that I am a teacher and I'm sure I will still love it. I know there is enough room to be both, but not right now. Right now is for listening to the Bean scream during nap time while I try to watch the season premier of Glee.

1 comment: