The Bean

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Oh, this is MY body!


Today I went to the gym for the first time post-pregancy. Thankfully a friend of ours volunteered to watch the Bean for 45 minutes while I hit the law school gym. Many things ran through my head while on the treadmill. Here is a selection in no particular order:

*Oh wow I need a different sports bra. This one that has been holding the big girls up while hanging out around the house is NOT gonna do it for running. I miss the little girls. I hope they come back some day.
*Holy crap. This running business is difficult. Wait, nothing is harder than birthing a baby. I can do this!
*Well, I CAN do this, but I don't HAVE to do this. I HAD to birth the Bean.
*Hey, my legs are moving and my arms are swinging. I'm not carrying a baby. This is just all me working here. This feels great!

Most of all it felt great to have my body all to myself for a few minutes. So much of being pregnant and nursing is about being a vehicle for what your baby needs. It was a breath of fresh air to return to something that was about my body working for me. Don't get me wrong, I certainly love being able to give the Bean what she needs; I also love a 45 minute break from it.

Baby aside, I have a lot of work to do in the running department. It wasn't quite as bad as when I first started to run. Although it might be, but now I know what my body is capable of and I know that this lack of fitness is only temporary. It is actually pretty exciting to be at ground zero again and have to work my way back up. I probably won't be running a marathon anytime soon, but there is certainly a 5k with my name all over it!

(Finishing a half-marathon in May 2009)


3 comments:

  1. I'll be around to sing a rousing rendition of your hit song, OBAMA DIDN'T QUIT, anytime you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally call upon the "I birthed babies! My body can do anything!" mantra all the time! It easily gets me another 10 min on the treadmill. Glad to see I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this mean you'll be joining us on the 3.5 mile hike around Chambers Creek Golf Course while you're in town?

    ReplyDelete